Wednesday 19 October 2011

Any wrongdoings will result in jail time....

A mother in England recently reported her son to the police after he stole her yacht and went for a joyride with his mates around the coast of Cornwall.
The 22-year-old university student, who went for the quick jaunt on the ocean in his mum's £10,000, 30ft boat, has now been jailed for nine months.
Last week his mum Annabel said she felt duty-bound to report her son but that taking the decision was 'absolute hell'.
'It's not what you want as a parent but you have to do what you feel is right,' she said. 'Every parent makes their own decision in how they are going to raise their child but I believed that what they did was wrong, and they had to know that.'
Amen to that sister.
It's hard teaching kids right from wrong. It's tough being the disciplinarian all the time. I seem to be always telling my children to stop doing something. And they seem to spend an awful lot of time simply ignoring me and doing it anyway. Sometimes I can't help but feel that I have no clout, that they think I'm a big softie and won't follow through on my threats to paint their rooms pink and force them to watch a Dora the Explorer marathon as punishment.
But then this brave mother went and done the rest of us parents a real favour. Kids need to be taught what's good and acceptable behaviour and what's not. And calling the cops in was a smart move on her part. I think the rest of us should follow suit.
Imagine the power we could wield with a threat of actual jail time for wrong doings. Not cleaning their room could incur a 'woeful neglect of property' charge and a six month suspended sentence. Whopping their brother with an Iron Man figure could land them with an 'aggravated assault' wrap and a £600 fine. Writing on the hall wall with indelible crayons, no matter how nice and colourful it is, could incur a 'wanton vandalism' charge and 12 weeks of community service. Nicking a packet of biscuits from the cupboard and then hiding out on the front step to eat them all with their mates could get them landed with a double whammy, a 'burglary and possession with intent to supply' charge.
And I'm thinking all three of my boys could be put away for life for the litany of criminal damage they have inflicted on my property. If I had of had my head screwed on properly I would have photographed and catalogued all the mobile phones they filled with toilet water after dunking them, the laptops with toast posted into the disc drives, the televisions which blew up because someone kept pressing the on/off button consistently for 20 minutes to see what happened, the car seats which needed industrial cleaning machinery to remove those blasted melted jelly sweets. I could have given all this evidence to the authorities to secure their case. They would have gone down for a long time.
Then again, on the flip side, they could also report me to the police. I could regularly be done for 'cooking with intent to endanger lives' for the burnt, hard as hell fish fingers I present to them sometimes masquerading as dinner. The threats to destroy or damage property - mainly the Playstation when they fail to do move away from it to do their homework - could be taken literally in a court of law. And I suppose the shouty, waving my fist thing that I do when they swing their sodden mucky shoes around their heads by the laces like helicopter blades, making vast mucky water designs on the kitchen walls, that could be taken as 'disturbing the peace'.
So maybe I'll keep my mouth shut, and none of us will get banged up.

No comments:

Post a Comment