Wednesday 19 August 2009

Lord grant me patience...

Grumpiness is a terrible affliction and one which every member of our house suffers from at least once during any given week.
At any one time there is someone sulking about something. Even the dog rolls his eyes and sighs. Lately, though, I’ve been the biggest culprit. Everything from the rubbish weather to the way other people behave drives me insane. And I know kids learn from example which means when I whinge about things, they learn that whinging works and whine more, which makes me whine about them whining. You see? There’s a vicious, snapping, whining circle forming right there.
I’m usually a glass half full, rose coloured glasses type of gal but recently I’ve morphed into a person so irritable that smashing the glass and stamping up and down on those blasted rosy glasses makes me feel a little better.
But today I will change, and follow this prayer on the path to serenity or at least to the sunny side of the street….
LORD GIVE ME PATIENCE…
Grant me the patience to smile serenely when I check my bank balance at the ATM and the strength to wait until I get back into the car to have the subsequent mild psychotic episode.
Help me to relax about insignificant details, beginning tomorrow at 07:41:23 am GMT.
Grant me the serenity to stay calm when middle child is running around Debenham’s ceramic department pretending to be an airplane, and allow me the overdraft facilities to pay for any damages caused.
Help me to keep my mind on one thing ... oh, look, a chocolate biscuit ... at a time.

Grant me peace when sons attempt to flush bundles of school jumpers down small toilet and the foresight to find the emergency plumbers number quickly in the Yellow Pages.
Help me to consider other people's feelings, even if most of them are like so hypersensitive.
Help me take responsibility for the consequences of my actions, even though they're almost always never my fault.

Keep me open to others' ideas on parenting, misguided and completely deranged though they may be.

Help me to be more laid back, and help me to do it without any errors whatsoever.

Help me to take things more seriously, especially laughing, drinking wine, going to great parties, and disco dancing.

Grant me the power of mind control, just temporarily, that I can silence four-year-olds with a wave of my hand. That indeed would be handy.
Grant me the second sight so that I may win the lottery (only kidding, scrap that one)

Thanks Lord!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment